Saturday, January 29, 2011

Starting Week 9.

Eight weeks ago I started with a plan to be fitter than I was by the following Friday, I was going to walk and/or ride the bike every day.  While my intentions were good and my actions OK, the results weren't as great as I was hoping for.

I started with walking to the corner and back, 3km and the first time I did it in 40minutes.  My aim was 35 but it didn't seem to matter how fast I thought I was walking I was only getting it down to 37 or 38, that 35 wasn't achieved.   I used to be able to do this walk in 35 minutes and it was a few years ago but I thought that I'd be able to get there again.  Not being able to, in what I thought was a reasonable time, took my enthusiasm away.
And the walk was boring.  I did see rabbits and birds most times and one time I saw a Bandicoot running along in the drain, it is a boring walk.  So I tried going around the block but that took the same amount of time and though it was more interesting I didn't keep it up. 
 
The ex bikes seem to be what I am mainly using now and I am doing that for longer so that must be working.
I am reading while I ride and I think that is the only thing that keeps me on it.  A boring book would have me off and doing gardening or something else pretty darn quick.

I sometimes think I should start recording the hours of mowing, mulching, raking grass and all the other day to day stuff that I do but I decided to only record the extra and that is how it will stay. 

Over the last 8 weeks there have only been a few days when I haven't done something.  I honestly thought that I would see some improvement with my weight or body shape but I can't.  I weigh the same as I did 8 weeks ago, my clothes fit the same.  I have a pair of jeans that I can get on and done up but they are too tight to wear anywhere.  I thought that they would fit better by now.  Am I still not doing enough?
I'm happy with what I eat and any change with that would not be sustainable so the moving is what I need to concentrate on.

I am now ready to start improving my flexibility and will try and find a starting point sometime this weekend.
I need to improve my strength as well but that is going to be harder and I need to think on it.  Using my arms and hands without a lot of care can put  me out of action for a few days. 

I know what I want to be able to do again.  Maybe I am too old now but I'm going to try.  Stay tuned!.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Barb, hope you get a breakthrough soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm feeling more positive.
    In my head I know I must be getting fitter and I'm sure results will start being more visible soon.

    ReplyDelete